About Me

I'm from a small town in the Florida panhandle, Blountstown (the midpoint between Tallahassee and Panama City). While in this town, I taught mathematics and science at our local high school. I also enjoyed serving as JV volleyball coach and directing 3 musicals during my years at BHS. Basking in the serenity of small town life, I obtained my MS in Educational Leadership and my National Board Certification in Mathematics/Adolescence and Young Adulthood while raising my two little ones and supporting my husband while he was overseas in Iraq. My husband has been temporarily medically retired from the USMC. So, we packed up and moved to Orlando so that he could take classes at UTI. I am pursuing this degree to open new doors and discover new ways to bring education to today's youth.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

MAC - Week 3 Response #1 - Ashley Nottis

I couldn't agree more, Ashley! :) I began co-teaching in April, and Rule #6 is a MUST! Imagine co-teaching when you live hours away across the state! haha!

It does have it's benefits: we don't have to share the same space; no dry-erase markers; no interrupting when I'm "teaching." :) But, we have a combined total of 350 students, and we had to find the best ways to serve them. We're still working out the kinks. The best thing is that we were able to take the best practices from each of us and combine and tweak them to better serve our students. It's always neat to see how other teachers do the same thing. Though, I have to say....I HATED it when another teacher was in my traditional classroom. I'm much more relaxed with other teachers in my virtual classroom. :)

Thank you for sharing!

Amanda

From Ashley:

While reading this week Rule #6 stood out to me with blinking lights and whistles sounding, don’t take yourself so seriously! This year was my first year in a co-teach setting and working with another person all day everyday is not an easy task. The story of the business partners really made me think. We both want the same thing; we just reach that goal in different ways. My co teacher and I do really like each other, and have a lot in common. The fact is we both want to be right and we both want the best for our students. Over the past year we have figured this out, although it has not always been easy. Team work almost ALWAYS requires Rule #6!!

No comments:

Post a Comment