About Me

I'm from a small town in the Florida panhandle, Blountstown (the midpoint between Tallahassee and Panama City). While in this town, I taught mathematics and science at our local high school. I also enjoyed serving as JV volleyball coach and directing 3 musicals during my years at BHS. Basking in the serenity of small town life, I obtained my MS in Educational Leadership and my National Board Certification in Mathematics/Adolescence and Young Adulthood while raising my two little ones and supporting my husband while he was overseas in Iraq. My husband has been temporarily medically retired from the USMC. So, we packed up and moved to Orlando so that he could take classes at UTI. I am pursuing this degree to open new doors and discover new ways to bring education to today's youth.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

MAC - Week 3 Response #2 - Brian Flax

I agree that it is often difficult for leaders to admit mistakes. Too often, I see the "blame game" - the hunt for the fall guy. Have you noticed that it's not only leaders that seem to be having trouble holding themselves accountable for their actions? I have noticed an increasing sense of entitlement from my students, and a decreasing inclination to take responsibility for their actions. If our leaders don't model appropriate behavior soon, I shudder to think of what will become of today's teenagers.

I too, like the idea of the white sheet, and may adapt it to fit my needs as I return (hopefully) to the traditional classroom next fall. I have always worked to empower my students in the classroom; to address them as a team, where I am simply the coach. The coach may give direction and guidance, but it's the TEAM that does the work and wins the victory.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Amanda

From Brian:

Another great few chapters in the Art of Possibility. This week I read chapters 5-8 which basically expanded on the first four great chapters of this book. There was a lot from the chapters that I was able to take away. My favorite part of this weeks reading was the story of the conductor. Too often people in a leadership position are not able to take a step back and admit when they were wrong. This statement was all too true at my last employer.


It was refreshing to hear about a story where the person in the leadership position was able to take a step back and admit when they made a mistake. It took the pressure off of the musicians and put the fault where it belonged. It was also nice to see that the conductor’s mistake brought about change for both himself and the musicians in the orchestra. The white sheet idea was a great way for people to put their constructive thoughts about the leadership to use and also for the conductor to learn about what he is doing that could be done better. It was nice to see that the criticism did not come too often and that he made positive changes. For people in a leadership role, this is someone that should be looked up to. (A person I wish my old boss could learn from).


Overall I still think this is one of the best textbooks that the EMDT program has offered. I have never been much of a fan of self help books. I have found that the material in this book can genuinely help people that are looking to bring positive change to themselves and people around them, and I think in this genre of books it is hard to find.


I am still looking forward to finishing the rest of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment