About Me

I'm from a small town in the Florida panhandle, Blountstown (the midpoint between Tallahassee and Panama City). While in this town, I taught mathematics and science at our local high school. I also enjoyed serving as JV volleyball coach and directing 3 musicals during my years at BHS. Basking in the serenity of small town life, I obtained my MS in Educational Leadership and my National Board Certification in Mathematics/Adolescence and Young Adulthood while raising my two little ones and supporting my husband while he was overseas in Iraq. My husband has been temporarily medically retired from the USMC. So, we packed up and moved to Orlando so that he could take classes at UTI. I am pursuing this degree to open new doors and discover new ways to bring education to today's youth.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

W1_Reading


Online/virtual education has been a hot topic in recent years as access to technology increases and schools try to meet the requirements of No Child Left Behind. Virtual/online learning is especially prevalent in rural and remote communities where schools are often challenged to provide certain courses because of low student enrollment or a difficulty recruiting teachers with the necessary subject matter expertise. Distance learning also appears to be a worldwide trend. Below are the first four articles that I will be considering for use in my AR project:

Instant Messaging in a context of virtual schooling: balancing the affordances and challenges


Gaga for Google in the Twenty-First Century Advanced Placement Language Classroom





The Inequivalence of an Online and Classroom Based General Psychology Course




HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS IN THE NEW LEARNING ENVIRONMENT: A PROFILE OF DISTANCE E-LEARNERS



If you would like to see a larger image for each of these, please let me know in the comments section, and I will accommodate your request within 48 hours. Thank you.

Adams, D. (2008). Gaga for Google in the twenty-first century advanced placement language classroom. Clearing House, 82(2), 96-100. Retrieved October 1, 2010, from Academic Search Premier database.

Edmonds, C. (2006). The inequivalence of an online and classroom based general psychology course. Journal of Instructional Psychology, 33(1), 15-19. Retrieved October 1, 2010, from Academic Search Premier database.

Kirby, D. and Sharpe, D. (2010). High school students in the new learning environment: a profile of distance e-learners. The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 9(1), 83-88. Retrieved October 1, 2010, from ERIC database.

Murphy, E., & Manzanares, M. (2008). Instant Messaging in a context of virtual schooling: balancing the affordances and challenges. Educational Media International, 45(1), 47-58. doi:10.1080/09523980701847180.


No comments:

Post a Comment